Thursday, October 4, 2007

Colton's School

Okay. I know what you all were thinking. I must have a dead blog. However, I have just been overwhelmed by the fact, that for journaling purposes, I need to do several months worth of blogging. I am going to skip to the present time, and sometime I may actually go back and blog about our adventurous summer.

Colton started an early learner's kindergarten back in August and loves it. The program is through Mesa Public Schools and is specifically for kids who have summer birthdays, or who barely miss the cut off for kindergarten but turn 5 by Dec. 31st. The kids do kindergarten curriculum and use the kindergarten report card, but the way they learn the material is different. They do more hands on activities than paper and pencil activities like a traditional classroom. Next year I plan on having him repeat and do a full day of kindergarten at the school by our house. Right now, he actually has a boundary exception to school in Mesa, where my mom is a 2nd grade teacher, so he loves being able to see his grandma every day before school. My aunt also is a teacher there, so he also gets to see her too! He has a great teacher and is enjoying making new friends. Colton is my active child, so the first few weeks we had some behavioral issues with burping every day at snack time and an occasional spitting or throwing sand incident. I think we are past that stage now though. He really isn't a terrible child, he actually is very sweet. He just tries to test his limits though. I tried to make Colton burp on command to see if that is what he was doing at snack time. He couldn't burp on command though, and told me, "Mom, you just don't understand. It is just my body." He has been known to tell his teacher the same thing. However, his burping starts the giggling at snack time and then other kids burp too. I did find that if he gulps down water, he will accidentally burp. So, we have had the discussion on just slowly drinking his water. I guess it really is just his body though! My Colton is such a true boy, and I love him for it!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! What a pleasant surprise! Don't forget your login info so you can blog regularly now! Preston is a September baby and he did early learners last year and now is in all day kindergarten and I think it has been perfect.I am planning on doing the same thing for Ellie and Peyton. We should definately double sometime! Sounds silly, but our Oct. is pretty booked, but maybe in Nov. I want to see more pics of your family!

Chelsey said...

a little burping never hurt anyone.

Kari said...

I'm glad you're back in the blogging world again! That's a cute story about the burping!!

Summertime Designs said...

You can tell Colton that my body does the same thing! That's great that he's in that early kindergarten program. Do they offer that for free through Mesa Public Schools? And that's so fun that he gets to see his grandma and great aunt.